Collection No.: I002
Volume: .25 cu. ft.
Inclusive Dates: 1949 – 1957
Bulk Dates: 1949 – 1957
Provenance: Originally housed with other periodicals under Clearinghouse Dept. ICN. Transferred to Archives on November 20, 2003.
Copyright: This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Historical/Biographical Sketch: The ASFSA (American School Food Service Association) organized on October 11, 1946. It strives to see that all children have access to healthful school meals and nutrition education. Its primary activities are: Providing education and training; setting standards through certification and credentialing; gathering and transmitting regulatory, legislative, industry, nutritional and other types of information related to school nutrition; representing the nutritional interests of all children. As of 2003 it had 52 state affiliates, hundreds of local chapters and over 55,000 members. (This information was taken from the ASFSA Web site at asfsa.org.)
Scope and Content: The collection consists of 12 issues of the “American School Food Service News” from 1949 – 1955 and 2 copies of the “journal” from the 1957 St. Louis meeting. The newsletters contain articles on nutrition, association news, and annual meeting/convention details. The “journal” provides day-by-day convention activity information.
- Vol. 6 No. 2 March – April, 1949
- Vol. 6 No. 6 Section II, November – December, 1949
- Vol. 7 No. 6 September – October, 1949
- Vol. I No. 1 January – March, 1950 (2 copies)
- Vol. IV No. 3 July, 1950
- Vol. V No. 7 November, 1951, Special Anniversary Issue
- Vol. VII No. 4 September, 1953
- Vol. VIII No. 1 January, 1954
- Vol. VIII No. 2 March, 1954
- Vol. VIII No. 3 May, 1954
- Vol. VIII No. 5 October, 1954
- ASFSA St. Louis Journal, Wednesday, November 13, 1957
- ASFSA St. Louis Journal, Monday, November 11, 1957